Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Last Humanist

Milton: Guilt...it's like a bag of fucking bricks. All you got to do...is set it down. Let it go.

Lomax: I can't do that.

Milton: Who are you carrying all those bricks for? God? Is that it? I'll tell you. Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do? I swear for His own amusement, His own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time! Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Aha! And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!

Lomax: "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven"...is that it?

Milton: Why not? I'm here on the ground with my nose in it since the whole thing began! I've nurtured every sensation man has been inspired to have! I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him! Why? Because I never rejected him, in spite of all his imperfections! I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist.


[The Devil's Advocate, 1997]


5 comments:

gypsy said...

:D "better to reign in hell then to serve in heaven"...are one of my fav lines...

as in Milton's "paradise lost", we c the tussle b/w God n Satan...aha! at least Satan seems fair,incarnated for Gods own plans, he suffers from that tag even now...

God's actually a prankster...

sinth said...

i'll have to think about that. humanists. dodgy lot.
and i see you're a fan of green too

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I over polite post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to review the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.